PEOPLE WHO ARE SLUT-SHAMING TEREZI
are people really doing this i havent seen any yet
shall i go on?
This is the slut-shaming you’re complaining about in all caps?
Ok, I’m going to venture into the dubious tumblr bullshit world of political correctness.
Half of those are criticising Terezi for hurting Karkat. The other half are criticising her for being a drunken mess. Neither of those is slut-shaming, which is criticism on the basis of a woman being comfortable with her sexuality and/or sleeping with a lot of people.
Slut-shaming =/= disliking a character for being cruel and insensitive to someone that likes her. And you’re apparently throwing the term around to justify (and automatically invalidate any criticism of) Terezi being in a state like that, which even if you don’t think there’s anything morally wrong with it I think we can all agree is not a desirable condition to be in.
And also it’s just a goddamn webcomic about aliens and superhero pajamas and you should all calm the fuck down.
1. For the last time, Faygo is a fucking soda. You cannot get drunk off of soda.
2. Yes, it’s possible that Terezi hurt Karkat’s feelings. But for one thing, Karkat isn’t communicating any of this to Terezi, so she has no idea of what he is feeling and therefore should not base her actions on things she does not know.
3. “Being cruel and insensitive to someon that likes her.” Say it with me now: TEREZI DOES NOT OWE KARKAT ANYTHING JUST BECAUSE HE HAS A CRUSH ON HER. That is some friendzone-type bullshit. If someone turns you down, THEY ARE NOT AT FAULT FOR THAT.
Additionally, Karkat doesn’t expect anything from Terezi! He has explicitly stated before that he just wants her to be happy, whether they are matesprits or not!
4. “Being in a state like that.” What state? ASLEEP?
5. “Morally wrong…” It has been canonically stated that Alternia is a different society and their morals are extremely different. Terezi can make her own decisions and this has nothing to do with morals. Or you, for that matter.
6. And no, I will not “calm the fuck down”. I realize that it is a webcomic. But if you project these dated, sexist views onto fictional characters, then it is more likely than not you will project them onto real people.
As much as I agree with rokkenjima-syndromee on this, I feel you’re all missing the point. In A6I3 Rose explains everything about why Terezi hooking up with Gamzee would be terrible and says that it’s up to her to stop it from tearing the group apart. Rose’s attempts at Auspisticism have clearly failed. Terezi is a smart girl, we’ve seen her make hard choices for the good of the group before but this one she can’t seem to make for herself and that’s disappointing. Disappointing in her as a character and agent of justice, not in a simple one way function of gender and morality, which a lot of people who think they are advocating FOR her seem to be using. It appears that a lot of the people who are criticizing Terezi are giving her more agency as a CHARACTER by allowing her to make mistakes and being rightly disappointed in her. If she had sex with Gamzee when it puts the group at risk then yes. We should all be disappointed.
Two other things - it’s entirely possible that the whole situation has changed in the last year and that Rose’s Auspisticism wasn’t a failure so much as it was no longer needed. If that’s the case, then it’s a little disappointing that the nature of the intermissions forced us to miss the character development, in Dave and Karkat especially, that made that possible, but what can you do. Second, it’s highly likely, as most people know, that Karkat and Terezi were matesprits at one point. Obviously you don’t “owe” somebody anything because they have a crush on you, but there is a level of respect and consideration for exs and significant friends. Hooking up with Karkat’s best friend while he’s still struggling to come to terms with his feelings about a lot of things is, if not morally wrong, kinda shitty.